Violence: Mild (action violence)
Sexual: Mild (A kiss or two)
4) Oklahoma! (1955) – Corny but classic, with great music. Gordon MacRae was a hunk of man, might I add.
5) Star Trek (2009) – The bit between McCoy, Kirk, Uhura, and Captain Pike as Kirk fights his allergic reaction to an inoculation is pure filmatic genius.
6) Battlestar Galactica (2003) – This pilot for the mini-series had it all. Twists, turns, subtext, conflict… and Jamie Bamber.
7) White Nights (1985) – The scene in which a Russian defector (Mikhail Baryshnikov) realizes his plane is being forced to land in the U.S.S.R. always gives me goosebumps. Awesome dance sequences, too.
8) Oliver! (1968) – Shucks, who doesn’t adore a movie about an adorable orphan who wants to be loved? Fabulous musical numbers and star performances.
9) Aliens (1986) – This film falls into the end of the serious range, but it does have some funny moments – particularly amongst the mercenaries. If you don’t break a sweat when watching this movie, you lack sweat glands.
10) Howl’s Moving Castle (2004) – Almost every Hayao Miyazaki film is wonderful, but the fabulous and fashion-forward Wizard Howl has a particularly memorable flair. His character is flawed in a painfully self-centered way, but Howl comes around in the end. The animation is astounding in its beauty, and every time I watch this movie, I enjoy the journey.
Enter the giveaway below to win a $25 Amazon giftcard!