Friday, December 14, 2012

Rouge (Cheveux Roux #1) by Leigh Talbert Moore

Published: November 11th, 2012 (S/P)
Pages: 300
Rating: 2/5
Trapped in the underground theater world of 1890s New Orleans, Hale Ferrer has only one goal: escape. But not without Teeny, the orphan-girl she rescued from the streets and promised to protect.

Freddie Lovel, Hale's wealthy Parisian suitor, seems to be the easy solution. If only his touch could arouse her interest like Beau's, the penniless stagehand who captures her heart.

Denying her fears, Hale is poised to choose love until an evil lurking in their cabaret-home launches a chain of events that could cost her everything.


Hale Ferrer has always wanted to be freed from the confines of her run-down theatre home, but not for her own good. Not her future, but the future of her “adopted” charge, Teeny, is what she fears. Untalented girls, girls unlike Hale, girls much like Teeny, are sent to a much darker place than center stage. But when the new stage hand gets Hale’s attention, her focus is shifted and her heart is split between doing what she wants and doing what she knows she must do. Distraction from her mission is the last thing she needs.
Little does she know the battle for safety may cost her her heart.
 I am so, so, so divided on this book. The historical element was fantastic; I loved getting to experience New Orleans during this particular time period. I’ve visited the city once and absolutely fell in love with it. The culture seeps out of every seam, and it’s the same way with this book. The theatre/cabaret setting, while somewhat provocative, is an interesting one- one I’ve never read about in a book before. And thank God- Hale, the protagonist, was relatable, which is something I don’t see much of in self-published books. She had depth, as did many of the other characters. I adored her romance with Beau, though it seemed to spawn out of absolutely nothing. Sadly, I’d have to diagnose it as a mild case of insta-love, but as shallow as their relationship was, I still loved it.
So, you might be asking, “If you enjoyed Rouge so much, why are you so riven over it? What’s not to love?” Well, read on, my friend.
Unfortunately, there was a colossal amount of sexual content that marred the story for me. While this is New Adult, and therefore has more of that type of content, there’s still quite a hefty amount. I might not have been so bothered by it had it not been for the raping going on. That’s really what crossed the line for me. I don’t recommend this book if you think you’d be bothered by that. If you’re wary, check the Quick Content Review below. Like I’ve stated there, nothing much is left out of those scenes, and I feel that was entirely unnecessary.
In the end, I guess I have a love/hate relationship with Rouge. I love the history, the characters, the romance. I abhor the lack of discretion when it comes to the sexual content. I simply wasn’t expecting *that* much of it. Fortunately, now you know, and can make a personal decision as to whether to read Rouge or not. To read or not to read…that is the question. But if you ask me, I’d probably say no.
Quick Content Review: *may contain spoilers*
Language: Mild (a couple d-words)
Violence: Heavy (rape)
Sexual: Heavy (Rape, described. A love affair between two characters; sex described.)

2 comments :

  1. Hi, Shelby! Thanks for reading ROUGE, and I'm so sorry you felt like there was so much sex in the book. I actually took it back from Simon & Schuster, who had bought it for publication in May, because they felt like it wasn't sexy *enough* (!). They wanted me to add MORE sex--including in the rape scene.

    Actually, I closed the door before the "sword was sheathed" in all sex scenes (remember?), and there is NO language in the book. (I'm not sure if that was a typo up there--you can search, no "D" words.)

    Again, I'm sorry if the book shocked you. I hate when that happens. It IS marketed as Mature YA/New Adult, and if you're comparatively reading in that genre, be warned--it's quite mild next to what's out there.

    Best to you! Thanks again, :o) <3

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!