Sunday, May 6, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Published: May 3, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 487
Rating: 5/5
In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. [Book Description from Goodreads]
Review:
I know this review is coming out kind of late, since most people are getting ready to read Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent Trilogy, if they haven’t already. But honestly, I put Divergent on hold 4 MONTHS AGO and I just got it from the library recently. That’s how popular this book is, and now I know why.
When it takes four freakin’ months to get a book from the library, you know it’s going to be good. And Divergent didn’t disappoint in the least. I was enamored from the start- the action was incredible and left your breathless, the subtle yet skillfully woven plot was fantastic, and the romance was amazing. Roth did a surprisingly awesome job with the romance. You’d be shocked at how difficult it is to add romance to dystopians (depression and depravity don’t make for a good romance factor). I felt like Roth had everything well-thought out; every little detail was convincing, and that’s one of the biggest things an author must do: convince the readers. Despite the hugeness of the book, the plot sweeps you along so swiftly that the 487 pages don’t feel daunting at all (for those of you who’ve read the book- see what I did there? Daunting? Ok, I’ve reached my allotted number of lame jokes for this review; no worries).
I found myself gluing Divergent to my side- I seriously took it EVERYWHERE. To my brother’s football games, to the dentist, to church (and no, I didn’t read it during the church service). Divergent has been my drug for the past week- I was sad to finish it. With the release of the second book, Insurgent, comes a tide of rippling excitement among the bookworm crowd-me included! If you haven’t read Divergent yet, do so now. Then go buy the next book. Then wait in anticipation with the rest of us until the ingenious writer Roth completes this thrilling trilogy!
Quick Content Review: *contains spoilers*
Violence: Heavy (Dauntless trains their initiates by toughening them up, i.e. making them fight one another, among other less-violent activities. While training, several initiates bully the others. Mention (and a bit of description) of a boy getting stabbed in the eye; also mention of a suicide. Several different mentions of people getting shot. I cannot list all the instances of the violent content in this book, as they are too numerous, but just take my word for it- nothing is sugar coated.)
Language- Mild (a couple h-words)
Sexual- Mild (Two characters talk non-descriptively about having sex; they aren’t ready, so nothing happens. A few kisses and caresses.)
*Side Note: A lot of people have told me that Divergent’s “twin” is The Hunger Games. Wrong, at least in my opinion. This book did not in any way remind me of The Hunger Games. I did feel, at moments, that certain aspects were similar to other dystopians I’ve read, but no idea is truly a brand new one, right? Just wanted to clear that up, in case any of you were wondering or have heard that it’s similar, too.*

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!