Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks

~I read this last summer and have not the slightest idea why I never posted it.
So here it is, dear readers!~
Published: September 1st, 2004
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Pages: 207
Rating: 5/5
I was kind of wary about this book when I first began it, because I had just finished The Notebook, which was good but had some majorly unnecessary content in it. But I had heard that this one was, um, cleaner, so I gave it a go.
            Landon Carter is with the ‘in’ crowd. Jamie Sullivan is not. Landon is not afraid to do daring, rebellious things. Jamie is not afraid, either, but she’s a good girl, and good girls don’t do daring, rebellious things. Landon’s father is a politician, and barely knows his son. Jamie’s dad is the pastor, and is very close with his daughter. Landon never really thinks about helping others, but Jamie collects money for the local orphanage. When Jamie the outcast and Landon the jock fall in love, what do you get? I’ll let you read and find out. J
This book was definitely far cleaner and more appropriate than The Notebook. I felt less guilty when I finished it, too. J It’s written more for the younger crowd (high schoolers/ older teens). I loved the way it was written (from Landon’s view point). I totally didn’t expect that Jamie would get sick. Neither did I expect her to recover like she did. I know it’s typical, but I was kind of doubted Landon’s sincerity when he married Jamie. I mean, anyone would be, when a guy goes from ridiculing a girl to completely falling in love with her, then quickly wedding her when they’re barely out of high school, anyone would be suspicious. But his love was true, and that made the whole book memorable.
One note: I haven’t seen the movie, but I watched the trailer, and I don’t care how good people say it is, it looks like they slaughtered it. It looks nothing like the book. Jamie seems less of a saint than they portray her to be in the book, and Landon seems more of a rebel than he was in the book. What I’m trying to say is, it seemed like they exaggerated the book. But that’s a biased opinion since I haven’t seen the movie. But if you have read the book like me and not seen the movie, I suggest you research it a little more before you watch it. Just so your opinion of the book is not defiled because of the movie. J
All in all, I loved A Walk to Remember. I encourage you to read it even if you have been scared off from Nicholas Sparks because of the content in The Notebook. A Walk to Remember is much cleaner, and in my opinion, a much happier love story.
Quick Content Review:
Profanity- Minor (Two b-words and one s-word.)
Violence-None
Sexual- Minor (Jamie and Landon kiss innocently a few times.)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love love love to receive feedback from my readers! Please feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

P.S.- Gobs and Gobs of Books is an award-free blog, and as honored as I am to receive awards from awesome people like you, please know that if you nominate this blog I will not pass on the award. Thanks anyway!